Charlie, Tommy, and Wesley
Cameroon '06-'07

Cameroon Baptist Theological Seminary
P.O. Box 44 Ndu
North West Province
Cameroon, West Africa
August 2006 through June 2007

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Highlights from Traveling

(1) On our jungle forage, Ally slipped off a treacherous log, planting her legs on both sides, submerged in jungle water. We could laugh at this, because Ally has emphasized to us time and time again that she’s the slipping type. UPDATE: Her shoes now smell horrible.

(2) While we spent the night in Yaounde, I was able to catch a replay of Game 2 Cavs vs. Pistons. I already knew the outcome, but it was still fun to watch, despite Lebron’s sub-par performance.

(3) In Bertoua, we slept in a two bedroom rest house; Wes, Charlie, and I in one room, Charlie’s parents in the other, a curtain separating the two. At 2:30am one night, I woke up to hear some one pounding on our door. I was terrified. I almost woke Charlie up, who was slumbering next to me, but I realized that the rapping was strangely rhythmic, sounding like 3 quick pounds followed by a pause. After some hazy thinking, I decided that the circumstances better fit a large, rainforest-sized moth, trying to escape through the screen windows of our porch. Then, it came to me—Charlie’s dad’s snoring. It was incredible, surpassing all the hype I had heard about it.

(4) Listening to a tape of Celine Dion four times through on the drive. At the end of the trip, we were quoting Jack’s soliloquy to Rose in the prelude to My Heart Will Go On.

(5) Finally, as Wes said, it was wonderful to be with the two missionary families working with the Baka people. Their main goal now is learning the language; hearing them fluidly converse with their Baka neighbors caused us to stop and marvel at their devotion to their ministry and to hope that a some sort of breakthrough comes soon. We also enjoyed hearing about their concern for preserving the Baka’s culture. Wes mentioned how a philanthropic group built rows of black-sheep concrete houses for the Baka, which look like colonialistic disturbances in their land. The Conrods and the Abbotts deepest desire is that Christ to transform the people’s culture, yet it’s clear that they value and respect the Baka traditions. The last thing they want is to make converts to Americanism.

(6) I can’t end on too serious a note. We had a fierce dart competition one night. Nathan Conrod placed first, I was a near-miss at second, Wesley came in third, and Earl limped in at fourth.

--tg

Ps. Wes has assured me that he’ll put up some pictures later this week.

7 Comments:

Blogger Anie said...

oh celine. now i have 'my heart will go on' stuck in my head... "near.... far...... whereEVER you are...."

i think ally and i would get along quite nicely.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so was the snoring like Anders when he is sick???????

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there are similiarities, Mari. Maybe I should explores this and look into offering Earl a binky.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or perhaps a breathe-right?

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or perhaps a breathe-right?

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys -

I'm not sure that you realize how much we enjoy these updates! To all three of you - thanks for these newsy, interesting, thoughtful "stories" - your efforts are not for naught!!

Happy grading - we're praying for you as you wind down your weeks and then days in Ndu!

Talk to you soon! :)

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok now i can imagion it because Anders snors REALLY loud when he is sleeping and is sick to

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home